Will you survive in mankind’s most desperate hour? It is time to prep for World War III that never was. A classic roleplaying game returns. Free League Publishing today announced that the new edition of the Twilight: 2000 roleplaying game, published in partnership with Game Designers’ Workshop (GDW) and Amargosa Press, will be officially released on November 16.
The launch includes both a massive boxed set as well as a virtual tabletop edition on Foundry VTT. The new retro-apocalyptic edition of Twilight: 2000 goes back to the roots of the franchise with open-world roleplaying in the devastation of World War III. Just like the original 1984 edition, this new game is set in the year 2000 devastated by war – now in an alternate timeline where the Soviet Union never collapsed.
Even in this bleak world, there is still hope. During utter destruction, you take on the role of a survivor in the aftermath of World War III – soldier or civilian. Your goal, beyond surviving for another day, can be to find a way back home, rally people to your ranks, and find out more about the mysterious Operation Reset. And maybe, if you live long enough, you have a shot at turning the tide.
Twilight: 2000 boxed version includes:
- A 152-page Player’s Manual, including rules for character generation, skills, specialties, combat, base building, and travel
- A 112-page Referee’s Manual, describing a world at war and including 52 ready-to-play encounters and four complete scenario sites
- A huge 864 x 558mm double-sided full-color hexagon travel map
- 15 engraved custom dice, including ammo dice and a hit location, die
- 16 modular battle maps, designed to create an endless variety of battlefields.
- Four battle maps for specific scenario sites
- 108 cardboard tokens for fighters, vehicles, conditions, and more
- 52 encounter cards
- 10 initiative cards
- Five blank character sheets are ready to be filled in
The core gameplay uses a “hexcrawling” system established in the post-apocalyptic Mutant: Year Zero and survival fantasy Forbidden Lands RPGs (both Silver ENNIE winners for Best Rules, in 2015 and 2019). The core rules are built on the Year Zero Engine used in those games (as well as in the ALIEN RPG, winner of the Gold ENNIE for Best Game 2020), but heavily adapted to fit Twilight: 2000 and its focus on gear and realism.
Twilight: 2000 RPG version on Foundry VTT:
The virtual tabletop modules of Twilight: 2000 on Foundry are fully integrated with the VTT platform with online maps and diagrams, player handouts ready to share, and more. The modules are available as stand-alone digital products as well as in print & virtual bundles in the Free League webshop. Please note that a Foundry base license is required to use the VTT modules.