Punishing, Thymesia, from OverBorder Studio, is to be published under Team17’s independent games label. The partnership announcement will see the studio’s debut title arrive on PC later this year. Set against a world ravaged by a plague, Thymesia will challenge players with fast-paced melee combat while they unravel the mysteries that haunt the harrowingly beautiful world.
At the heart of the story is Corvus, a mysterious character capable of seizing enemy diseases and using them as weapons against his adversaries. Players will engage in visceral combat, combining ferocious offensive abilities, perfectly timed parries, and dynamic dodges to take down unforgiving enemies. This means players will also have the ability to customise Corvus to their own playstyle, upgrading and improving various stats to aid in their journey to recover Corvus’ memories.
Thymesia Key Features:
- Weaponising diseases: As Corvus, players can seize diseases from enemies and wield them as deadly weapons
- Engaging combat: Players will need to use their entire arsenal to avoid death; dodging attacks and parrying at precisely the right time will be instrumental to survival
- A dark and deadly world: With a sinister and gloomy backdrop, Thymesia oozes character through its environments and setting
- Unforgiving enemies: Corrupted by the plague, and mutated into monsters, the enemies are twisted and incredibly hostile, challenging players at every turn
- Replayability: The ability to customise Corvus and try different builds. Couple this with the multiple different endings available. This means no two playthroughs are ever the same.
Moon Lee, Game Director, OverBorder Studio, said:
“The amount of enthusiasm from the community has been incredible and we’re happy to be working with Team17 on Thymesia. Their support has been instrumental in the game’s development, and we can’t wait to share the challenging world we’ve created with players later this year.”
Craig McCarthy, Producer, Team17, said:
“Thymesia is a unique title for Team17, and we’re dead excited to be working with OverBorder Studio on this dark and gloomy title. We’re confident that players are going to enjoy exploring the world and testing their combat skills as Corvus, challenging themselves against the monstrous foes that await.”
Fans of Bloodborne may notice a similarity to Thymesia. The playstyle, the world everything screams Soulsborne. Is this a bad thing? Not at all. It’s going to be interesting to see how Thymesia charters its own path.
After all, that has what has made some of the pretenders to the throne so interesting. What makes other Soulsborne copycats their own games. I look forward to what Thymesia brings to the table and can it contend with the big boys.
To keep up to date with all the information on Thymesia be sure to like them on Facebook, follow them on Twitter and join us on Discord. And if you’d like to stay tuned to GamEir. Come talk with us on Twitter (@gam_eir), Facebook (@GamEir), and Instagram (@GamEir).