Warner Bros. Games and Turtle Rock Studios have released a new Back 4 Blood trailer spotlighting the characters. This eccentric crew is known as “The Cleaners” and they slay the Ridden. The video introduces each of the eight playable Cleaners – Holly, Walker, Doc, Karlee, Jim, Hoffman, Evangelo, and Mom.
Not only that it expands on their background, characteristics, and in-game abilities. The trailer also provides a glimpse into the range of Ridden variants players will take on. These include beastly Breakers, grotesque Ogres, screeching Snitchers and ravenous Hags.
The Cleaners are out to clean
- Holly – After losing her family to the Devil Worm, Holly Forrester learned to channel all her energy into being a Cleaner and is known as the glue that keeps the team together. Armed with her trusty nail spiked baseball bat she affectionately calls “Dottie,” Holly’s resilience and never-say-die attitude helps boost the team’s morale and is often seen as a ray of light in the darkness of the apocalypse.
- Walker – The oldest of five siblings, Elijah Walker was born in Evansburgh to a hardworking, blue-collar family. The former Army Ranger and war-torn veteran is highly skilled with a wealth of front-line combat experience. Walker is a man of few words, but when he speaks, he commands the attention of his fellow Cleaners, who all respect his commitment to the fight.
- Doc – She has been instrumental in keeping Fort Hope up and running, but this is far from the life Doc expected when she first came to America. Fiercely independent, she sacrificed her social life for her career. It wasn’t until years later that she finally found a kindred spirit in Mom. After the Collapse, Doc’s no-nonsense attitude and pragmatic outlook served her well. Though her bedside manner can take some getting used to, no one denies she’s one hell of a doctor and a mean shot to boot.
- Karlee – Surviving on the outskirts of Fort Hope since the Collapse, Karlee only trusted in herself. No one knows much about her, and she’s fine with that. Though originally seen as a nuisance at best and a looter at worst, her actions have proved time and time again which side she’s on. Now with the Ridden on the rise, she’s made the choice to fight alongside the survivors. She may not be a Cleaner by name, but she more than makes up for it in attitude.
- Jim – Nobody knows Finleyville and the surrounding county like Jim. From an early age, he would head out into the countryside with his father, hunting and trapping with the best of them. After a stint in the military, he returned home, only to see it ravaged by the Collapse. Now he’s found his place among the most trusted cleaners. When not fighting back-to-back with his team, he’s scouring the countryside of his beloved Pennsylvania routing out the Ridden infestation.
- Hoffman – A meticulous individual, enthusiastic prepper, and conspiracy theorist. When the infection hit, he and his mother hunkered down and rode out the storm as the rest of the world fell into chaos. After his mother passed away in her sleep and his supplies ran out, he left his boarded-up house to face the world of the Devil Worm. Howard Robert Hoffman is genuinely skilled and good-hearted, with an earnest desire to be a useful part of the team. As part of the Cleaners, he’s finally come across the family that he’s always wanted.
- Evangelo – He may be the youngest and least experienced Cleaner on the team but has proven to be a quick study. Besides being good in a fight, Evangelo has established himself as a loyal and reliable member of the team. He tends to talk a lot, especially when he’s nervous, but is eager to show that he has what it takes to be a Cleaner.
- Mom – The only person surprised that Mom became the voice of survivors in Finleyville was herself. She’s never shirked from a challenge and always puts the needs of others over her own. Still, for one who’s used to bucking authority, her newfound responsibility sometimes weighs uneasily on her. Although she has faith in her Cleaners, Mom has questioned other leaders’ strategies on more than one occasion, especially since the death of her son. Mom’s goal is simple, make the Ridden pay.
Our impressions and our hopes for Back 4 Blood
We have actually been lucky enough to try out Back 4 Blood. Here’s John’s article on how he got on with the spiritual successor to the Left 4 Dead titles. The game does look like a lot of fun and I’m a sucker personally for these type of co-op titles.
Back 4 Blood will be available later in the year. Players can pick it up on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and PC on October 12th. Pre-orders will receive a bonus Fort Hope Elite Weapon Skin Pack. Players can register now at www.Back4Blood.com for their chance to participate in upcoming hands-on tests.