NIS America has announced the release of Ys IX: Monstrum Nox, on PlayStation 4. The Nintendo Switch version will be available this Summer. Explore the mysterious prison town of Balduq. Here your courage will be tested against the creatures that roam the alternate dimension of La Nuit de Grimwald .
Adol returns in Ys IX: Monstrum Nox:
While the famous adventurer Adol “the Red” Christin and his companion Dogi arrive in Balduq , a city annexed by the Romun Empire, our hero finds himself directly sent to prison. While in detention, he meets a mysterious young woman named Aprilis, who transforms him into a Monstrum , a gifted person who has the power to exorcise monsters.
Now is the time for Adol to ally with other Monstrums to fend off emerging threats from Grimwald’s Night , the Dark Dimension. He will also need to lift the veil on the mysteries surrounding the curse of the Monstrums and the city of Balduq.
- The Feared Protectors: Play as one of six Monstrums , each with their own unique feats, granting them abilities like climbing walls or detecting hidden objects.
- The World Within the Walls: Explore a massive city, take on quests to aid the locals, and step into The Night of Grimwald to defeat threats to Balduq .
- The force that hides in the night: Find gameplay mechanics familiar to the series like Flash Dodge or even Flash Guard to counter your enemies. New mechanics have been added such as Feats and Boost Mode , which increase your ability to fight.
“Pact Edition” Content:
- The game YS IX: Monstrum Nox on PS4 or Nintendo Switch
- The mini artbook “Monstrum Memoirs”
- “Melodies of the Macabre” soundtrack on CD, and download for the Nintendo Switch version
- Reversible jacket
The YS franchise is an incredible JRPG franchise. It’s up there with Final Fantasy, the Tales of franchise as well as The Legends saga. I and Declan have reviewed previous titles including Ys Origin and Ys: Memories of Celceta.