Command a team of Wild West style monster hunters in turn-based tactical action game Alder’s Blood. Utilize stealth, strategy, ranged and melee weapons, and even dark arts to overcome your quarry. Think of it as XCOM meets Darkest Dungeon, with a hefty dollop of Lovecraftian influence. If that doesn’t sell you on Alder’s Blood, then the narrative might grab you. It involves the hunt for God’s corpse. He, obviously, having been slain by His own creations in this world. He’ll know better next time I guess…
“A Hoonter must hoont”
The Bloodborne influence will strike you immediately. After all the hunters are as inhuman as the beasts they hunt. You will take the role of a hunter chief, and are responsible for every aspect of your team’s management. This will include resource gathering, crafting, item and weapon management, and of course, undertaking hunts. A word of warning though! One constant theme I’ve noticed from perusing the various reviews available on Alder’s Blood: the intense difficulty. Apparently we’re in original XCOM/Xenonauts type difficulty. So if that’s the challenge you’re after, then Alder’s Blood certainly ticks that box.
Features of Alder’s Blood:
- Stealth, ambush-based combat. Try to outsmart and outwit all the horrifying creatures you’ll be facing, as they are way stronger and you don’t stand a chance in a direct assault;
- Diverse, challenging opponents. From werewolves to vampires, all monsters have their unique attacks and skills and can easily see, hear or smell you from the distance. So be careful not to reveal your position too early;
- Stamina-based characters. Cautiously manage your energy level between attacking, moving and casting spells. In the end, you’re only a human and running out of energy will seriously fatigue you;
- A grim world plunged in half-darkness. In this world, our god has finally turned his back on us and his corrupt presence can change the intensity of the battlefield. From summoning monsters, through changing the weather, to transforming one of the creatures into a powerful avatar of his will;
- A vagabond’s exploration system. Travel the world bringing your mobile base along with you. Take shelter in and manage your camp, but be wary of enemy ambushes;
- A unique fusion of dark Victorian fantasy and wild west. Immerse yourself in a world so different from the one you know. The universe shaped by struggle, where mankind has not had the freedom to develop or advance any of its technology.
“Beasts all over the shop…”
Alder’s Blood was originally launched on Kickstarter way back in February 2018. That campaign failed to meet its goals, but Shockwork Games were undeterred. They formed a partnership with publisher No Gravity Games, and launched a second Kickstarter last year. Since that successful campaign, they have secured a release on Nintendo Switch, with followup releases coming to PC in April, via Humble and Steam. At the moment, you can get the Switch version at a discounted price of €14.99, while full price the game will set you back €19.99. Take a stroll over to the games website and you can download the prologue to play for free. Go ahead… join the hunt.
Stay tuned to GamEir. Also, be sure and converse with us on Twitter (@gam_eir), Facebook (@GamEir), and Instagram (@GamEir). Check out our videos on Twitch (GamEir) and YouTube (GamEir) and we’ll give you all the latest content.